There’s a beautiful little term I like to use for getting more than you bargained for: unintended consequences.
This term aptly describes what happened with the little nest pendant giveaway for which I’m supposed to announce the winner today. I never really planned what the question would be to enter the challenge – I sort of came up with it off the cuff, on a whim, on the fly. The unintended consequence was that you all responded so beautifully and with such emotion-inducing responses that I’ve been dreading this day. So well done, you amazing bunch of tough-as-nails parents. Sheesh.
Before I announce the winner, I need to make a few shout-outs:
- To Caroline, whose comment was the most artfully written, and whose sentiment resonated with me profoundly. The only reason she’s not winning the pendant is that she’s my best friend and it would look weird if I awarded it to her. So I’m giving her a pendant for Christmas instead. Win-win.
- To Judi, whose breezy comment imparted long-term perspective on what it means not only to be a mother, but to be a liver of life.
- To Monica, who is quite simply the hardest-corest mom of all time.
- To Jen in SLO for the hilarious tale of being a stand-in mommy.
- And to Harry, for taking the plunge, giving his daughter away in marriage, and being the sole male to respond to my challenge.
And now, the winner of the nest pendant is…
Kim, you won our hearts and prayers with your story. Thank you for sharing your ordeal, and I hope that the addition of a little bling to your life brings you some much-deserved joy.
And thank you to EVERYONE for participating. What a treat to hear your stories and be humbled by your courage.
Now, for something completely different. The good people at Miracle Blanket have offered me a new blanket to give to one lucky winner! Do you remember how I feel about this product? That it helped Seabass to sleep so well that I considered buying stock in the company? That it kept me from putting him up for adoption? (That’s a joke, now – c’mon people.) If you are an expectant parent, know an expectant parent, have a newborn or know someone with a newborn, this is the giveaway for you. Here’s how it works:
First, you need to FAVORITE Miracle Blanket on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/MiracleBlanket.
Then, you need to LIKE Miracle Blanket on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/MiracleBlanket.
Last, you need to coerce a new person into subscribing to my blog, www.higherhighslowerlows.com. Whether that’s you or a friend, I don’t care. But if it’s a friend, make sure they comment on the blog and mention you by name so you both get a chance to win. See the comments below for an example I’ve posted.
All this business needs to happen by midnight CST Monday. I’ll send my winner’s name to Miracle Blanket the next morning. The winner will be posted Tuesday afternoon after 2pm CST on Miracle Blanket’s Twitter and Facebook sites. Each winner will have 24 hours to respond. The only way they will know if they won is to watch our Facebook and Twitter sites. If they do not respond they lose the prize. The contest is open to the U.S. and Canada. (Sorry international folks – their rules, not mine.)
Good luck, and happy subscribing!