Not a joke.
I knew it when Seabass was still nursing and my nipples were on fire. I knew it when I awoke in the middle of the night in a pool of my own sweat. And I even knew it when two different pregnancy tests came up negative.
On the third one, however, all suspicions were confirmed. I am, indubitably – yet unexpectedly – preggers.
How am I feeling about having another child? Such a tough question. It really depends on the day – sometimes the hour. So here is a brief (but accurate) diary of my emotional and physical roller coaster since the day I found out.
- January 20: Took test. Told Jake. Overwhelmed.
- January 21: Overwhelmed and excited. Perhaps a girl?
- January 22: Oooh, I’m a bit queasy.
- January 23: Make that REAL queasy.
- January 24: Can smell leftovers through the refrigerator door.
- January 25: Can smell the dog’s breath from another room.
- January 26: I can’t imagine having another person to care for. Seabass is quite enough. Perhaps I should have thought this through.
- January 27: The minivan discussion rears its ugly head.
- January 28: Trying not to sleep all day, every day.
- January 29: So glad to have Seabass weaned. Boobies are mine for another few months.
- January 30: Had a breakdown. Crying, sobbing, moaning, writhing. WHAT ARE WE THINKING?!?!?!
- January 31: Better day today. Less sick and tired.
- February 1: Saw cute baby clothes in a shop window and allowed myself to dream a little.
- February 2: OMG, I’m unbuttoning my pants already.
- February 3: It’s all about gummy candy right now. Love it.
- February 4: I hate gummy candy.
- February 5: Begged Jake to bring home burgers, fries, and…gummy candy.
- February 6: Held a screaming baby today. Amazing how it doesn’t bother you as much once you’ve already had one.
- February 7: Who knew the “taste” of water would make me want to ralph?
- February 8: First doctor’s appointment. Saw baby on ultrasound. Swoon. Due date: September 19.
- February 9: I asked Jake if he could see my baby bump and he said, “Is that the baby or the cheeseburgers?”
- February 10: Can’t eat, can’t sleep, can’t think. Am clearly dying.
- February 11: Seabass has discovered my weakness and is trying to destroy me. Had another crying fit today.
- February 12: Jake patted my tummy today and said “Thanks for growing my baby.” Made me blush.
- February 13: Fell asleep thinking about baby names.
- February 14: Spent Valentine’s Day evening sprawled on the couch in flannel, eating a frozen pot pie. Poor Jake.
- February 15: The house smells stale.
- February 16: We need more money before baby comes!
- February 17: We need to renovate the kitchen before baby comes!!
- February 18: I have to get Seabass out of diapers before baby comes!!!
- February 19: Babies are cute. Can’t wait to smell him/her.